At Heather we are strongly driven by our SMSC (Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural) curriculum and provision. This works in a very positive partnership with the expectation of all schools that we will promote the development of ‘British Values’ in our children.
The DfE has stated that: “Schools should promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.”
It says that through their provision of SMSC, schools should:
- Enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence
- Enable students to distinguish right for wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England
- Encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely
- Enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England
- Further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures
- Encourage respect for other people
- Encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.
This year, in addition to all of the SMSC work we do across the whole curriculum, every day, and in addition to the PSHE work we include in all of our curriculum planning, we are taking a theme from the British Values (above) each half term in our assemblies.
HPS Prevent Strategy pamphlet for parents – let us know if you’d like a paper copy of this.